INFORMATION FOR ARTISTS INTERESTED IN MEMBERSHIP
Studio Gallery is a well-respected member of the greater Washington arts community. It is an active member of the Galleries of Dupont Circle Association. We are committed to giving talented local artists an opportunity to exhibit their works through the advantages of a cooperative structure.
As an artist run, non–profit gallery, Studio Gallery has shown the works of an estimated 2000 Washington artists (members and non-members) since its founding in 1965. Many present and past members have had major successes, including museum exhibitions and shows in significant venues outside the Washington, DC area.
Currently, over 40 members make up the Studio Gallery exhibiting community. Visual artists of the Washington DC area may submit their works to be juried. Membership acceptance is based on the quality and originality of the works, and their fit within the overall gallery vision. Currently, gallery members work in painting, sculpture, printmaking, photography, installations, book arts, and multi-media.
To apply for membership contact the Joyce McCarten for more details.
Joyce McCarten firstname.lastname@example.org
Pay one-time new member assessment of one month's dues
Regularly pay quarterly Membership dues
Sit at the gallery to assist the director one day every other month
Attend monthly members meetings
Serve on at least one gallery management committee
Assist with logistics of All Member events
Support other members by attending their events when possible
- Garden Gallery - show in first membership year
- Duo Show - every one and one-half to two years
- All Member Shows - one or two annually
- Solo show - every three to four years
- Affiliation with Studio Gallery
- Continuous listing, with artwork images, on Gallery website
- Listing in Art in America's annual Artist and Galleries issue
- Targeted announcements of shows to local media
- Email and social media announcements and updates of shows
- Ongoing advice of the Director and other Gallery members
- Net of 65% to the artist on artwork sales
- Participation in Galleries of Dupont Circle arts events
- Capability of hosting events at Studio Gallery
- Member discount on gallery purchases
Member Work at Gallery
- Three framed works in closet
- Three unframed works on display in bins
- Portfolio of work on paper
- Biography / Portfolio descriptive notebook
Studio Gallery offers a Fellows program for young artists recently emerging into the DC artist community. Click link for more information.
Artist-owned Studio Gallery showcases contemporary work by emerging and professional artists through monthly exhibitions, performances and educational outreach.
In keeping with its mission, STUDIO GALLERY contributes to the Washington DC community through outreach involving teaching, internships, lectures and promotion of public art shows. As an active participant in DuPont Circle arts and other city-related art activities, the Gallery seeks innovative artists and shows for ongoing collaborative and one-time events.
Internship Program at Studio Gallery
Studio Gallery has developed a program for college students and those interested in arts administration and arts management. We offer the option of working with the professors of a student to customize tasks to the specific interests of the student, and can provide a final evaluation at the end of the internship. The Program can accommodate up to eight interns per academic term. Interns learn about gallery administration and curation while assisting the Gallery Director in day-to-day functioning. These opportunities to help curate shows, facilitate social media projects, and undertake everyday gallery functions help students gain skills, insights and experience in preparation for competitive jobs in the arts.